We are committed to providing value for money within our comprehensive and caring service. The fees charged are for the type of facility required and the provision of twenty-four hour nursing and social care in our nursing homes and twenty-four hour social care at Merlin Park.

In our homes the fees per week range from:

Bury Lodge: £750 - £1000
Carleen: £750 - £1000
Merlin Park: £540 - £730
Thalassa: £750 - £1100

A letter will be issued to all new residents about financial arrangements and fees. The letter will explain the fee structure, how to pay the fee and will give a breakdown of the fee and who is responsible for payment.

Depending on the personal financial situation, a resident can either pay the fees privately or receive benefits arranged by the funding council (social services). In all our Homes we take privately funded residents and residents funded by social services.

Privately Funded Residents

If you are ‘self-funding’ – in other words, paying the full cost of your own care with no help from your local council – you can claim Attendance Allowance, even if you are receiving Pension Credit or other income-related benefits.

For more details please go to the Help the Aged website:

NHFA care advice will provide advice to all older people and their families, regardless of means, on all the financial implications relating to obtaining and paying for care.

If you are self-funding Care Fee Advice will help you understand the financial products available to meet ongoing care costs and as far as possible reserve capital.

For more details please go to the NHFA website:

Each manager will be happy to spend time explaining the fee structure with you or your representative.

Residents Funded by Social Services

The full cost of your home place can be met by contributions form different sources. If your local council has agreed that you need to move into a care home, they may pay part or all of your fees, depending on how much income and savings you have. They will work out how much you should contribute. If you are assessed as needing nursing care, the NHS may also make a contribution. In some circumstances you may get your care paid for fully by the NHS.

If you are getting financial help form a local council, you will not be able to claim Attendance Allowance.

If you are already receiving Attendance Allowance when you enter the home, you can continue to receive it for the first four weeks.

If you stay in a care home on a temporary basis, for example, for ‘respite care’, your Attendance Allowance will not be affected, unless you are there for more than four weeks. After four weeks, if you are not self-funding, it will be withdrawn until you leave the home.

Stays that are less than 28 days apart will be added together and counted as one stay, so a number of short stays together could affect the amount of Attendance Allowance you receive.

For more information please go to, Help the Aged and NHFA Websites shown above.

Here is an explanation of the Fee Structure and the Terms we use.

Client Contribution

In some instances social services will pay part of the fee and the resident will also make a contribution. This is referred to as the ‘client contribution’.

Top Up

If the resident should request to stay in a Home where the fees are higher than social services would usually pay this may be arranged providing a third party or the resident is willing to pay the difference between the cost social services would usually expect to pay and the actual cost of the accommodation. This is known as a ‘top up’.

The ‘top up’ must be negotiated with social services and not with the Home. More information regarding the ‘top up’ can be obtained from social services or

There may be circumstances where a resident who is self funding becomes dependent on public funds due to diminishing resources, social services are responsible for managing this situation including any ‘top up’.

If the Home’s fees are higher than social services would usually pay, an assessment may be carried out by social services to assess where the resident’s needs can only be met in the Home or whether they may have to move to alternative accommodation. The assessment should cover the resident’s physical, social and mental well being and include the effect on these needs of moving the resident to an alternate Home.

Social Rate

All services are referred to as ‘social care’ and for the purposes of the breakdown of fees are referred to as the ‘social rate’.

This rate remains constant until the annual review of fees which is carried out every April.

Free Nursing Care (FNC)

Residents who require nursing care are entitled to a FNC which is paid directly to the Home.

This is an example of the Fee Structure Breakdown form which we provide to all residents:

Fee Structure Breakdown
  Date: .................... Name of Resident: ..............................................................
  Room Number: .................... Basic Rate for Bedroom: ..............................................................
  Fees are calculated on a daily rate of: ....................  
  Self funded residents:                
  Social Rate’ to include accommodation, food, personal care and administration costs of: £ ………….... per week.
  FNC contribution at the current rate:           £ ………….... per week.
  Total fee = Social Rate - FNC contribution if application is successful. £ ………….... per week.
  Social Services funded resident’s:      
  ‘Social Rate’ to include accommodation, food, personal care and administration costs:      
  • payable by social services 
£ ………….... per week.
  • payable by ‘client contribution’
£ ………….... per week.
  ‘Top up’: £ ………….... per week.
  FNC contribution:           £ ………….... per week.
  Total fee:           £ ………….... per week.

 The person(s) responsible for paying the fee is (are)


Signature: _______________________________________________ Date ______________

NB: The monthly rate is calculated by:
Dividing the weekly rate by 7 = daily rate
Multiplying the amount by the number of days to 31 March and dividing by how many months there are left to 31 March